Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Key West & Miami

Darin and I were able to take a fabulous vacation together to Key West and Miami this last week. We were invited down so that I could do Stephanie's hair for the wedding. That really was the formal invitation/announcement we got from Ben.
After leaving our boys with Grandma and Grandpa Johnstone, we flew out Thanksgiving Day. Spent that night in Miami at a fabulous 4 diamond hotel. Friday, after driving down to Key West, we went snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef with the wedding party and dinner at a great BBQ place in Key West. Saturday was the wedding day, so after a little sight seeing in the morning, I went to Steph's mom's hotel suite at the Ocean Key resort to do Steph's hair. It was fun to be in on all of the pre-wedding excitement.
Ben and Steph were married on the pool deck close to sunset. The reception immediately followed at the end of the pier and began just at sunset. It was beautiful, super elegant and fabulously fun. Hor's derves to die for, a cheese and fruit buffet, open bar, dinner buffet including salad bar, Tri Tip and Mahi Mahi and made to order risotto, and desserts of every kind. It was incredible. Us old folks danced the night away.
Sunday after breakfast we rented little motor scooters. The were so fun. I am convinced that is the best way to see all you want to see in a place. The newly formed White Lightning Scooter Gang tooled all over the island honking horns and annoying the locals. Six of us in all, Darin & I, Kevin & Beth, and Darron & Sandee. We even picked up a few stragglers that wanted to join. Dinner that night was at the Conch Republic. A fabulous seafood restraunt in the marina. We didn't even care about the pooring rain outside.
Monday we ate crepes fro breakfast and rode around until about 1:00 then our travels took Darin and I back to Miami. We spent the night in an Executive Suite upgraded for free on Miami's North Beach. Had dinner at a great restraunt in the Hotel.
Tuesday morning we ate breakfast at a little Cuban place fro about $12, our cheapest meal the whole trip. Darin used his Spanish and knocked the socks off the owner. It's funny to see their reaction when a blond haired, blue eyed Gringo speaks to them in Spanish. That morning we drove down to South Beach so that I could see the Miami Ink Studio. It was fun. We didn't see anyone famous, but the shop was cool. I bought a way over priced shirt. We drove around and took pictures of the art deco architecture and walked a little on the beach. Lunch was at the famous Fatburger. After returning the rental car, a very uncomfortable electric blue Toyota Matrix, we boarded our plane to come home.
It was a very nice trip, a great getaway for just the two of us. Thanks Ben and Steph for making us go to Florida!! Congratulations!
On a side note, the Blond Giraffe in Key West has the BEST key lime pie. And there is a little shop in Mallory Square that has the best fresh fudge. His secret is Cuban cocoa and key lime juice. Well, it was a secret.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I'm sooooo jealous! I married a guy that works for an airline and we still never go anywhere!!! Ok, that's not totally true, we did go on a Disney cruise with my family (which I highly recommend) but I was really pregnant at the time so I was tired and grouchy and not feeling very sexy in my bathing suit.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally agree, the blonde giraffe does has the best key lime pie! I'm glad you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete